The Wisdom Buddha Protector of Je Tsongkhapa's Tradition
A conflict with a solution
For years, Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden practitioners have been pointing out that they do not wish to slander the Dalai Lama or prevent him in any way from fulfilling his lawful political duties as leader of Tibet (within the constraints of the Indian constitution.) Dorje Shugden practitioners have been simply and peacefully expressing their disagreement with the premises and enactment of this religious ban. As a result, they have been denigrated and abused, largely because of the Dalai Lama's reputation - it is his word against theirs.
He has used his political power to try and destroy a spiritual practice, and his spiritual reputation to exert his political ambitions and wishes. This is wrong.
But as it is he who has created these problems, he is also the one who could solve them, by lifting the ban and stopping the persecution. This would involve swallowing his pride and admitting he has made a mistake. We would like to believe that someone who preaches compassion and tolerance at every turn, and who admirably evinces it in other areas of his life, should not find it too difficult to reinstate it in the Tibetan communities in India and elsewhere.
"Now, my main point is that people should know that all the present problems regarding Dorje Shugden within the Mahayana Buddhist world have no creator other than HH the Dalai Lama. He is the source of all these problems because it was he who first publicly claimed that Dorje Shugden is an evil spirit who harms both himself and Tibetan independence, and many Tibetans believe what he said.
It is HH the Dalai Lama's wish to destroy the practice of Dorje Shugden, and to fulfil his wish Tibetan people within the exile community have removed statues and destroyed them, coercing other Tibetans to abandon this practice. If HH the Dalai Lama had not engaged in this policy of religious discrimination there would have been no basis for these problems. I clearly understand that the responsibility for this lies with HH the Dalai Lama."
If the practice of Dorje Shugden is harmful then it follows that Je Phabongkhapa was not an authentic Buddhist master, and if he was not then there is no doubt that his heart disciples, Kyabje Ling Rinpoche and Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche (the Senior and Junior Tutors of HH the Dalai Lama) were also not authentic. These three Lamas are the most important Gelugpa Lamas of recent times. If these three are not pure Teachers then there is no doubt that the entire practice of the Gelug Tradition is invalid. This is the main issue that needs clarification.
HH the Dalai Lama alone has the power to solve all these problems. If he stops completely his policy of religious discrimination and gives religious freedom, these problems will be solved automatically. I believe that he will do this soon because I believe that he has compassion for his people.
Please do not think I am criticising HH the Dalai Lama in a negative way; I am writing this simply to clarify the situation.
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
Spiritual Director of the New Kadampa Tradition"
H.H. Dalai Lama has the tendency to trace the issue over Dorje Shugden to the 5th Dalai Lama. Fact of history is, that whatever negative circumstances have occurred at that time, they were wholesomely resolved by H.H. 5th Dalai Lama recognizing Dorje Shugden as a powerful Dharma protector. The 5th Dalai Lama then composed the first prayer dedicated to the deity and helped to found the first temple of this deity in Lhasa, called Trode Khangsar, and entrusted such monasteries as Nyanang Phelgye Ling and Chong-gye Riwo Choeling to the protection of Dorje Shugden. Still now-a-days these monasteries are housing the holy image of Dorje Shugden they received from the 5th Dalai Lama and carry on with the prayers of the deity composed by the great 5th one.
However, through those unfortunate wrong influences, the present H.H. Dalai Lama tries to give existence to a trouble, which has been nonexistent for the last 300 years. Many thoughtful observers find this most unfortunate to occur for a Tibet, that is going through a most difficult time of its history, and having more than enough concrete problems to be solved on a human level.
This conflict was started by the present H.H. the Dalai Lama, and it can also be ended by him at any time, if he wishes. Up until now, H.H. the Dalai Lama has done nothing to settle the dispute, instead he caused it to escalate, as if the annihilation of Dorje Shugden has become the most important objective to be pursued in his very life.
We exile Tibetans dependent on the good favour and support of the West, like many other people in the world. If the western media would therefore recognize and accurately represent the current behaviour of the Tibetan exile government, changes in this government would certainly happen, and this embarrassing situation would improve.
Follow the story of the Dalai Lama's 30-year political campaign to destroy a centuries-old spiritual tradition taught to him by his own Spiritual Guide, and the efforts of those he's hurting to stop him:
- What is happening
- What is the Western Shugden Society (WSS)?
- Detailed reports of discrimination from inside India and elsewhere
The Dalai Lama's position
- A Great Deception
- Praise to Wisdom Buddha Dorje Shugden by the Dalai Lama
- In the Dalai Lama's words
Why is this happening?
- Why is this religious suppression taking place?
- Are the Dalai Lama's reasons valid?
Efforts to restore religious freedom
- Geshe Kelsang's open letter
- The ban is illegal and unconstitutional
- Press reports and videos
- Dorje Shugden Devotee's Charitable and Religious Society
- Dalai Lama sued for repressing religious freedom
- A conflict with a solution
- Announcement from Serpom Norling Monastery
Analysis of situation
- Can the Dalai Lama ever make a mistake?
- Is the Dalai Lama the only spiritual leader in Tibetan Buddhism?
- Theocracy or democracy?
- Spirit worship or authentic Buddhist practice?
- Freedom of worship
- The Dalai Lama's justifications
- Analysis by Dalai Lama's translator (PDF)
- What would Thomas Jefferson think of the 14th Dalai Lama?
- Book Reviews
Evidence and first-hand accounts
- Chronological background
- Discord in exile documentary
- Political motivations for the ban
- Summary to date from Tibetan exiles
Ongoing persecution 2008-2010
- Recent vote sticks and call for help
- Forced signature and ID card campaign
- Persecution of monks at Sera Monasteries
- Public humiliation and explusion of monks
- Letter to Indian Prime Minister regarding abuses
- Letters from Dorje Shugden Devotees
- Urgent appeal from Sera Monasteries
- Support from Indian police
- Western Shugden Society letter to Sera monasteries
- Western Shugden Society letter to TGIE
- Heartfelt request from monks in Mundgod
- More discrimination planned around the world
- Letter from an FPMT monk
- What you can do